You will find the major steps and actions on how to get designated below. After reading them, if you still have questions, please Contact Us or give us a call at 703-691-4620. We look forward to working with you as you move through the credentialing process.
Conduct your Self-Assessment
Develop Your Portfolio
- Complete the application collecting the applicable documents, records, and letters, as you go.
- Ask friends or colleagues that hold a CPC designation to review your portfolio. They’ll be happy to help.
Submit Your Application and Fee
- Submit the application and all required forms via our online platform.
- Pay the applicable initial fee (see table below). If you already hold a CPC designation, you may be eligible for a reduced fee (see table below).
- Our staff conducts a preliminary review of your application to check that you provided everything the peer reviewer will need.
Participate in the Peer Review and Interview Process
- Once your application is complete, your application will be forwarded to an experienced peer reviewer.
- The peer reviewer will conduct a thorough review and may ask you to provide additional information or make some changes to your application.
- As part of this step, the peer reviewer will contact you to schedule a phone interview.
- The peer reviewer uses your documents and this interview to make a recommendation to the Commission on Professional Credentialing (CPC).
- CPC meets every two months and renders votes on conferring designations based on peer reviewer recommendations.
- Our staff will be in touch shortly after the meeting to let you know you’ve been credentialed.
- CPSE will email you a copy of the Designee Handbook which provides information on using the honorific letters, obtaining permission to use the logo, maintaining designated status, volunteer opportunities, etc.
Become and Remain Designated
- Your designation is valid for three years.
- As part of your application, you will have set professional development goals to work on during the three year period.
- At the end of the three years, you will submit a renewal application (CFO, CEMSO, CTO and FM click here. Fire Officer, click here), and pay a renewal fee (see table below).
- You will once again participate in a Peer Review and Interview Process and CPC will once again render a vote on granting you a designation.
- CPC has a code of conduct and throughout the time you are designated we will expect you to adhere to it.
All fees are nonrefundable and payable in US Dollars. You can pay the fees online. If you have question about the fees or payment options, please call us at 703-691-4620.
|Designation||Initial Fee||Multiple Designation Fee||Renewal Fee|
|Chief Fire Officer||$375||$325||$325|
|Chief EMS Officer||$375||$325||$325|
|Chief Training Officer||$375||$325||$325|